SeikiTech.com Sign Making Forum
June 24, 2021, 10:52:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dimensions not correct!  (Read 22869 times)
ff_user

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:14:04 PM »

We're using Flexi Starter 8.5 software, and having major problems with the output files printing at the incorrect dimensions. In the Flexi Starter window, all objects appear to be sized correctly (even when checked with measurement tool), but when it gets sent to the printer (SK 1350-T), what is actually printed out is enlarged about 1.25%. So a 36" long rectangle is actually printed at 36.5".

We need this printer to print at exact 100% dimensions. Everything that we can find in the Flexi software and Production Manager windows are all set at 100%... please help!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:44:59 AM by seikitech » Logged
seikitech
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »

Many factors can cause that 1% different.  Using good quality material and reduce the cutting speed may help.
ff_user

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:52:11 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

I am not cutting yet - I am using the pen plotter. The trouble is that the enlargement is consistent (ALWAYS about 1.25%) across the board, no matter what material, or the speed I set the machine at, etc. (I've been using the pen plotter at speed 020mm/s and force 30g, but also tried it at 400mm/s and 80g just now, and it printed out everything at the exact same (wrong) dimensions as at the slower speed.

To give you an idea of the kind of wrong dimensions I'm talking about, I'm printing out a series of 4 different sized rectangles/squares as a test:

The 3"x5" is printing out closer to 3.0625"x5.0625", the 5"x5" is printing out at 5.0625"x5.0625", the 5"x7" is printing at 5.0625"x7.09375", and the 36"x8" is printing at 36.5"x 8.125". I've printed out this exact file four times now at different speeds, on different days, and it always prints exactly the same.

As you can see, it's sizing everything up at a consistent percentage. For the smaller things, obviously, the difference is not that great, but we need this for large plots, and the larger the object being printed, the bigger the disparity.

As I said before, everything is at the correct dimensions (I've tried this both by drawing the rectangles directly in the FlexiStarter software, and also by drawing it in Adobe Illustrator and importing the file into Flexi to plot/print it, and again, it prints out exactly the same, at 1.25% larger) on the computer screen, so that's what is making me think it is a problem that occurs from the time I select Cut/Plot and when the plotter starts running. And not anything to do with the speed or material.

Do you have any more ideas what might be causing this?
ff_user

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:57:36 AM »

In addition, let me just note that I've tried more than the particular file I mentioned above - I've sent four different files (from different programs, using different sized objects, and even one using circles and ellipses), through the plotter and the objects always print out at 1.25% larger. So the problems are not with the particular file I'm printing/plotting out.
seikitech
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »

What different program are you using?  Please post a couple files here and tell us the file size and output size.  We can test them on our machines.
ff_user

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »

When I mentioned using different programs, I meant to create the files and then import it into FlexiStarter. I've been using only FlexiStarter 8.5 to send the files to the plotter/cutter because that is the only software that we received with the machine.

I have attached a Flexi file here; I also have two Illustrator files to give you to test (one of them is the exact file that I detailed out in my earlier post), but this forum is telling me that they're too large to attach here (they're both 1MB files). Do you have an email address I can send them to instead?

Thank you for looking into this.

* TRIAL03.fs (32 KB - downloaded 10 times.)
seikitech
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 05:57:50 PM »

Please try following.

1. Open the Production Manger.
2. Double click the Driver that with a Check Box in the front. (pm.jpg)
3. It will bring up a Default Job Properties.
4. Click on the last tab in Default Job Properties window.(djp.jpg)
5. The default Resolution is 1016 in first field.  Change it to 1003 and press OK. (1016 / 1.0125 = 1003)
6. Try to cut your job again.

* pm.JPG (28.93 KB, 522x420 - viewed 66 times.)

* djp.JPG (30.16 KB, 401x645 - viewed 95 times.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:01:20 PM by seikitech » Logged
ff_user

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »

Thanks - changing the resolution has seemed to solve the issue. I had to tweak it to 1001 to print out more perfectly; have not yet tried it out on anything larger than 44", but now that I know where to change it, I should be able to tweak more if need be.

Thank you for your help!
mikeb

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 08:49:11 AM »

I have the same problem as ff_user. The size comes up correct in the main window, but when it goes to the production manager it expands about 1/2" both ways. I've tried changing the resolution down as low as 800 and it's still about over sized about 1/4". 
I recently purchased the flexi software mac version and my files are all created in adobe illustrator cs4.
I've had this machine for four years connected to a PC running signcut software, and never had a problem with any size differences.
I use the machine to create templates and stencils for metal sign fabricating, the templates need to be exact with the fabricated parts of the sign.
seikitech
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »

I have the same problem as ff_user. The size comes up correct in the main window, but when it goes to the production manager it expands about 1/2" both ways. I've tried changing the resolution down as low as 800 and it's still about over sized about 1/4". 
I recently purchased the flexi software mac version and my files are all created in adobe illustrator cs4.
I've had this machine for four years connected to a PC running signcut software, and never had a problem with any size differences.
I use the machine to create templates and stencils for metal sign fabricating, the templates need to be exact with the fabricated parts of the sign.
You may be talking about different issue.  The 1/2" in both ways you have could be the Panel Margin.  You can set the Panel Margin to ZERO in Cut/Plot window -> Options tab.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: